Friday, March 9, 2012

Don't Rain on Jerry Hingle's Parade!

Woe is me....


To my discontent, it is raining once again in Austin. There go my plans! My heart goes out to all the SXSW attendees who are starting their festivities this weekend. Better have a poncho in hand! As for me, I will have to rewrite my weekend schedule. 


But I won't let the rain dampen my spirits! Sure, it's 45 degrees Fahrenheit and raining in March, but after all, it's still winter! This is an opportunity to sip hot cocoa and snuggle with Peanut while watching a movie. Maybe even make cookies. "But what cocoa recipe are you going to use, Jerry Hingle?" Glad you asked! 


This is my favorite hot chocolate recipe of all time, provided by the lovely Ina Garten. I adore her. Her voice is so sexy, and her food always looks delicious--oh, how I envy Jeffrey. Anyway, this recipe is from the Postcards from Paris episode in which fans email Ina with their questions about Parisian food and she answers them. This chocolate emulates the hot chocolate from a Parisian bistro. 


Double Hot Chocolate by Ina Garten

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 8 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon instant espresso or coffee powder
  • 4 to 5 vanilla beans or cinnamon sticks

Directions

Heat the milk and half-and-half in a saucepan on medium heat to just below the simmering point. Remove the pan from the heat and add both chocolates. When the chocolates are melted, add the sugar, vanilla extract, and espresso and whisk vigorously. Reheat gently and serve immediately. Use a vanilla bean or cinnamon stick to garnish each serving.   


Alright, folks, I've got some hot chocolate I must attend to. Jerry's out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment