Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Jerry Hingle Contemplates Song Meanings Beneath the Stars

Hi Folks,
I'm enjoying my time in Arizona. I never want to leave! I've been here about two weeks and I love it. Right now I'm at the Grand Canyon. I've been spending countless hours simply laying out in the sun, painting the canyon, and running into town for supplies. Peanut is looking rustic as ever--he's learned to love the rough lifestyle, and he finally stopped picking his fur every time a branch got caught in it. He's a mess! I say in a week or two he'll be close to a real wild wolf! I've been letting the scruff grow as well. People think I am a mountain man.

Anywho, I've been laying under the stars contemplating the meaning of life, meaning of science, the meaning of social norms, the meanings of songs...everything! One particular song that I've been really thinking about is Pride by U2. That's always been one of my favorite songs, but now as I have all the time in the world to think, this song in particular rings in my head. I've been thinking about history, and it's almost as if this song tells the story of mankind.

"One man come in the name of love
One man come and go
One man come he to justify
One man to overthrow"

That's pretty much the cycle that we'll always go through as a species. A man/woman/nation thinks they're bringing justice, rises to power, and then is overthrown by another who believes they are bringing justice. Sums it up well huh? Throughout the song there are various references to great men of power and influence...Jesus Christ and Martin Luther King just to name a few. And sure enough, these men were overthrown by someone who thought they were doing the right thing. Will it ever end?

Thinking about this makes me want to log on to my TuneWiki and write this all down. Over the trip I've become addicted to commenting on song meanings through tunewiki...most people probably don't give a hoot but it's fun to get my ideas out there anyway.

Alright folks, it's time for Jerry Hingle to contemplate something more important than life...dinner.

--Jerry Hingle

No comments:

Post a Comment